Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Une autre occasion merveilleuse

Another wonderful opportunity.

In 2010, I battled cancer with surgery and treatment. A wonderful photographer in our town had (unbeknownst to me) been doing free photoshoots for cancer patients. He focused on family portraits before the treatment had started and began to ravage the body of weight and hair. A mutual friend introduced us, and I began working on our theme. I literally plunged headfirst into Wonderland. I made our costumes and begged, borrowed, but didn't steal our props.

And there we are. As fabulous and striking as our pics turned out (and I still adore them), I lament that my children have grown. I started thinking that nothing we ever did would be this beautiful, and my children would be frozen at 10 and 5. Not so.

My photographer friend has said that he wants to do a follow up on us - complete with costumes.

I was simultaneously overjoyed and perplexed. What could we ever do that would live up to the Alice in Wonderland? I asked my kids, my friends, my folks. And there it was:

Steampunk Doctor Who

Of course! Why didn't I see it before? Last year's Halloween costume was Steampunk - it was the theme of our entire party.

The steampunk makes sense. It's so fun. Doctor Who was a no-brainer. You see, Series 5 of Doctor Who premiered the same week I started chemo and radiation. I had seen the trailers for it and had decided I would be watching. Then the Mack truck called cancer treatment hit me. Doctor Who became all I could look forward to at the end of each week.

Here's how it will work: 
Hubs - The Doctor

Moi - River Song


Okay, so River is hardcore.

The boy - Rory Williams
 Do you recognize the vest? Squee!

The girl - Amelia pond


So here's where it gets a little weird. Rory and Amy (Amelia) grow up and get married. River Song is their daughter, and she marries The Doctor. It's not a perfect metaphor, but I think it will work the best.


I found this blazer on eBay. Someone sniped me on a sweet Jos. A Bank blazer, but this is nice. The only caveat is that the stronger lines are horizontal instead of vertical. I already have the brown bowtie, and the boots.


River's jacket. The key feature is the off center closure and the wide collar. I will not use the belt that comes with it. Again, eBay - cheap!

Over the jacket is this lovely cincher belt. eBay $3.50.



I have yet to purchase this vest, but it seems to be the best value. Thank you, China!

Now, what would I do to the outfit to make it more Steampunk? Bustle skirt!!!


To recreate River's gun, I need to buy a certain Nerf gun and paint it the right color.

River and The Doctor both carry a TARDIS journal. Every time they meet up, they compare notes to see where they are. I must make a pair of these.
Lastly, I need to find a utility pouch belt. I have her little flashlight. So it's one piece at a time.

Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment