Friday, September 21, 2012

Overall Overhaul

I cautiously excitedly proceeded with my plans to remove the front and back bibs and apply them to my Levi's.

See how the washes on the jeans and the overalls are nearly identical.

I ripped the seams on the back bib.

 Back bib removed!

I ripped the seams on front bib.

Both pieces had unnecessary belt loops - which I removed.

I pinned the back bib onto the waistband of my Levi's. Since this piece will be permanent, I can sew it right on.

On the front bib, I used heavy duty wire cutters to remove the lower button.

 Gone!
 I attached an extra piece of thick denim to the bottom of the front bib, so I would have fabric to attach the front bib to the front of the Levi's.

 Sewing the back to the jeans.

 Oops! In order to attach the front piece, I had to cut the seams back a bit. Then I buttoned the front to the back.

 I sewed the front on the side that ends up under the button, and left the other half loose. It will be tucked in, buttoned up and snapped into place.

The straps came with loose hardware. I wasn't exactly sure how the adjustable hardware was supposed to go on. No directions came with the overalls. I pinned the straps where they needed to be.

 Using the navy thread, I stitched down the sides.

 Undetectable!!!

 To further secure the loops, I put a short anchor stitch on both sides.

Almost invisible!!

 Cheap workmanship = wonky hems. I will fix that!

 You are now in order!
 Welcome, my blurry, nearly complete overalls. I will be putting a couple tiny snaps inside the right side so everything lies flat and secure.

Backside. It's so nice to know that these will fit when I slip them on!

No, you can't see them on me yet.

Spoilers!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing seamstress you are!!! Can't wait to see the whole outfit come together!!

    ReplyDelete